The injection complex consists of the following elements:
- cryogenic heavy ion source KRION of Electron String Ion Source (ESIS) type,
- laser source,
- duoplasmatron source,
- source of polarized protons and deuterons,
- modernized linac LU-20 (existing),
- new heavy ion linear accelerator (HILAC),
- transfer channels.
All the particle sources are placed on own platforms suspended at positive potential of 100–150 keV to provide injection into the linacs (see table “Parameters of Linear Accelerators of NICA Injection Facility”).
The injection complex has two independent parts:
1) the injector for light ions;
2) the injector for heavy ions.
The injector for heavy ions
contains the ion source KRION, HILAC and two new beam transfer channels.